Friday, November 25, 2016

"Are you okay?"









Tis' the season of happiness, thankfulness and joy. Spreading good cheer and kindness to our loved ones. A Happy time for all!!!

All of us? Did you know that this time of year is one of the highest times for depression and suicides?

When we think of the unthinkable happening, we always believe it will happen in someone else's circle and not anyone we could possibly know. Until it does. Then it's, I had no idea they felt that way.

How well do you know your circle? Do you feel that anyone in your circle would feel comfortable enough to tell you that they are really hurting to the point of taking their own life? It is not easy to admit how badly we really think of ourselves to our loved ones out loud.

Think about that for a few minutes, please. I am not saying that you can change anyone's mind or figure out how depressed someone actually is if they are not prepared to tell you. Sometimes no matter how hard we do try, we cannot change the outcome.

I can think of a hundred times when I have said that I am just tired or it's nothing to bother you with. I'll get over it soon enough. When I am asked out, I will say I am going to stay in tonight. I don't feel like going out. I have stuff to do, when in fact I don't. Haven't we all done that? Our reasoning can be, we just didn't want to talk about it in that moment, we haven't figured out how we feel about it or we just didn't plan on telling anyone at all about it. Working so much during the holidays, sometimes I do just want to stay in.  Our response to that would be one of, "I respect you and when your ready I am here for you." Then we go about our day, wait for them to tell us or forget about it thinking they will talk to someone, eventually.

I am using me as an example. Simple explanations that we would not think anything about. But I am the type of person who would be convincing. I am asking you to really pay attention to those you come across daily. Listen to your gut instincts. If something is off, it probably is and do not assume it just a stressful time for them.  We may get a bad vibe and think it has to do with us, when in fact it doesn't.

Show kindness to everyone you come across. Make time out of your busy schedule to spend actual time with those you know. Pick up that phone and call someone you haven't spoken to in awhile. Put your busy life aside and make time.

We can get so caught up in this season, that we tend to forget that not everyone is as happy about it as we are.

We need to make sure that when we ask, "Are you okay?" That the person knows we would set aside time for them in a heartbeat. That they know our intentions are purely for their well being. That by us saying, anything you need me to do for you, means just that.

And sometimes it's just knowing that someone would actually stop everything that they have going on for us, means everything in the world at that moment.


Until next time,
~It is what it is~


http://www.facebook.com/Jackiesview



No comments:

Post a Comment